11 Mar 2012

Writing job application letters (cover letters)

The covering letter is an introduction that leads into your CV and it must be concise and relevant. It is also a professional document, even if it is sent via email, so format it as you would a business letter. Keep it to a single page, including addresses and sign-off. If there's a job reference or advertisement reference, include it. An example ‘template' could be:

Dear (always use a name, if you can. Don't use a Christian name only, but use Mr. X, Mrs.X, Miss.X or MsX - appropriate if you don't know whether she is Mrs or Miss.)

Paragraph 1: clearly state which job you are applying for

For example:

I am writing in reply to your advertisement on the jobs.ac.uk website on (date of advertisement) for (the position/job title). I enclose/attach my CV for your consideration.

Paragraph 2: briefly outline why you are a good applicant -what you can do for them

You could echo (but not repeat!) some of the phrases in the advertisement. For example, if the advertisement says:

‘You will have excellent research and organisational skills, and the ability to work flexibly in a small team as well as alone. Although not essential, teaching experience and knowledge of the sector would be an advantage.'

You could write:

As you will see from my CV, I have considerable research experience in this sector. For the past three years I have had individual responsibility for my project as well as lecturing and working closely with team members to organise conferences and events.

Paragraph 3: Clarify or explain any problem areas (if applicable) or highlight relevant voluntary work.

Briefly explain anything in your CV that needs clarification - if your current position is completely different or if you have taken a break. Don't be apologetic! For example:

I took a break from academic research during 2003-5, and worked my way up to the position of Events Manager in a leisure centre, where I gained valuable experience and developed management skills. When a job opportunity came up at the University, I applied and returned to lecturing and research.

Paragraph 4: bow out gracefully!

You could include a sentence about the organisation or institution here, based on your knowledge or on what you have found out. For example:

I hope my application is successful. I would welcome the opportunity to continue my career in a University with such a good reputation for research/in a new and stimulating environment/in an innovative and exciting Company.

(from http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/cv-templates/1067/applying-for-a-job-part-2-cv-and-covering-letter)

These are some interesting sites:
http://www2.elc.polyu.edu.hk/CILL/jal.htm
Here are some examples: http://www2.elc.polyu.edu.hk/cill/jaleg.htm
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/morejobletters/a/jobappletter.htm
 http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverletters/a/cover-letters-jobs.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment