9 May 2016

Formal letters

  • Letters of complaint  Samples at the bottom 
  • Letter of complaint : organisation
  • Formal letters

  •  

     Writing formal letters to complain:

    FORMAL LETTER
    Dear Sir/Madam ( when you don’t know the name → Yours Faithfully)
    Dear Mr X (→Yours Sincerely)

    Reason for writing:

    Who I am (not the name!), What I want, When and Where it happened
    •   I am writing in order to complain about /I am writing to complain about
    • I am writing with regard/reference to (the article which appeared when/where) to express my concern about/disappointment with/dissatisfation with/disapproval of/apologies for (motivation)
    Introducing the complaint:

    • Firstly/In the first place/First of all/ My first complaint is/
      To begin with/
    • The first thing I would like to draw your attention to is /My first concern is

    •  According to your (brochure/article)/ Your (brochure/article) states that..
    • However, ...
    • , which is completely wrong
    Introducing further complaints:

    • Secondly/In the second place/Not only .......but also /In addition, /In addition to this/ Added to this/Moreover/In fact/Furthermore/In addition/Finally

      (I feel) I must also (dis)agree with/ I would like to/ I want to point out that

    •   X was also unacceptable

    Demanding action:

    • I suggest that you replace the item
    • I would be grateful if my money was refunded
    • I would be grateful if you could give me a full refund 
    • I trust/very much hope you will (print this letter in the next issue of your newspaper)
    • I would appreciate it/be grateful if you would
    • It seems only fair that you should
    • In light of the above (I feel I am entitled to a full refund and a formal apology)
    Ending the letter:

    • I look forward to hearing from you
    • I look forward to receiving a full refund
    • I look forward to receiving a replacement
    • I look forward to receiving your explanations

No comments:

Post a Comment